Saturday 15 September 2018

Not Another Hobbby!




             
          

No that isn't a bag I've made (it's the teacher's) but it's like one I've started to make. 

Oh yes, I've taken up quilting, well learning to quilt anyway. It's not exactly a new hobby as I've sewn for as long as I can remember, my Nanna & my Mam taught me when I was little so it's just another branch of that really. However it does need more stuff. Lots more stuff like cutting mats, rotary cutter, plastic rulers & shapes galore!

I found a really great quilting group at Beamish Museum and I joined before Christmas. I was very wary as sometimes you join these groups and the people are not always very welcoming. You feel a bit of an outsider but this group of women were lovely. I went along with a friend just before Christmas and we had a great time chatting, learning to cut fabric with a rotary cutter and making a nine patch square. We saw the great quilted bags most of the group had made to carry all their sewing things to the class. The photo above is of the one belonging to the teacher.

Oh yes we did a lot of eating too as it was their Christmas meeting so there was a lot of chatting & laughing. 

I was really looking forward to our next meeting which was yesterday and it was another successful day. We start at 10am break at about 12.30 for lunch & we all gather around a big table to chat then we work until 4pm. It's a great day with no interruptions to make meals, answer the phone or the door. Bliss!

Here's another lovely bright bag I liked. Pink's not my colour but the red & green really lifted it.



I'll let you know how mine turns out!
X

9 comments:

  1. I don't know how you manage to pack it all in! I'm not an expert on quilting, as you can probably imagine, but I can only picture it as the traditional quilts you see made up of loads of hexagonal pieces. Not bags which look a lot more fun to me. It's funny how pink and red are so often seen together now, I blame Cath Kidson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about Cath Kidston. Blue is more my thing has been since I was little. My sister got pink & I always chose blue.

      Delete
  2. Winnifred, what a fun bag! I can think of so many things it could be used for with the cute pockets! Congratulations on adding one more hobby but lookout, some of your friends will be hinting for one, now 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Michelle it took me so long to make that one I'm not sure about doing it again. Although it always takes longer to make the first one until you get into the swing of it. Also I have a walking foot now which will help the quilting bit.

      Delete
  3. The last two of our quilters at the Senior Center passed away just a couple of months apart. They were dedicated and made such beautiful things. Every time I would see a post like this one I would take the picture and ideas to them. They would have loved these purses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad, you will miss them. Some people make such beautiful things. My skills are not at a high level with quilting but nothing comes without practice as they say.

      Delete
  4. It all sounds lovely, the new quilting class, and the opportunity to develop your sewing and quilting skills to new heights. Good for you. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment....like a visit really. I have Parkinsons' Disease now and it slows me down in different ways.....but I mostly tell folks I'm 'fine and dandy' because I often have so much to thank God for, and that makes me cheerfull. I am making pressed flower cards now with pressed flowers and kleenex. Very pretty. I learned to make them years ago.....you know how that goes, and now years later....I'm doing it again! I've enjoyed seeing what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pressed flowers, I remember doing that years ago but never got around to doing anything with them. It would be lovely to see some if you have the time. Take care. x

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...