Tuesday 30 August 2016

The Tall Ships 2016



The Tall Ships arrived in Blyth, Northumberland on Friday as part of the 60th North Sea Regatta. There was a range of magnificent ships to visit. Although beautiful you realise how hard life must have been for those on board such vessels.









 
Imagine having to climb up there!

 
Everyone waiting for the fireworks.

The ships left yesterday in glorious weather for the final race to Gothenburg and the local beaches were unusually packed to watch them sail away.


  
Looks like a good boat builder there!
 
It's great that events like this come to the North East as they bring lots of visitors to the area which struggles economically. It was once a great ship building area where ships were built for the Royal & Merchant Navies until the Thatcher era in the 'eighties! 
 
Next Tall Ships event is in 2018 when it will visit Sunderland. Just down the road so that will be great.
 
Hard to believe but sixty years ago Sunderland was the largest shipbuilding town on the planet & it produced 25% of the UK shipping tonnage. Now whatever happened!!!

So we're looking forward to the 2018 Tall ships race which starts in Sunderland.

9 comments:

  1. My! they make a beautiful site to see.
    So tall and stately moving along the waters.
    (Frank is not doing well don't look for him to live much longer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently watching VIKINGS on Amazon Prime. The ships amaze me. How did those people travel great distances in their small boats. If the movie is somewhat factual in design, the boats are much smaller than I always imagine they would be. All ships fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tall Ships are beautiful. How are you coming with your Granddaughters crocheted spread?

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow great photos! I would have definitely loved being there to see those ships sail in. One can wish - maybe 2018;). I loved reading about the history of the area also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing pictures! It must feel like travelling back to those days of the past.
    Thank you for the interesting information.
    Tina x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos brought back memories: I served as a watch instructor on the Captain Scott, a three-masted topgallant-sail schooner, in 1972. One of the experiences of my entire life. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the next tall ships visit to the northeast. I shall try to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed this post! I always love your photos, they always look beautiful. Looks like quite an event.

    I loved the boat created out of sand, how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite a site I am sure Winifred.I think it is the 9th picture that reminds me of the Players Cigarette advert of the past. Great to see the beech full.I have old photos lying on that same beech and I had been in for a swim .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly amazing ships and such good photos..they certainly had such a air of romance about them.
    Xo'Dagmar

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...