Wednesday 19 August 2015

Sirmione

Sirmione 
We left Desenzano by boat to go to the peninsula of Sirmione on another scorcher of a day. The air was lovely on the lake but once at Sirmione the heat hit us. So we made for the beach!



Unfortunately there was a triathlon taking place so the beach was taken up with swimmers & the noise of the woman commentating was unbelievable so I fairly quickly left.


Luckily it's a small peninsular so you can cross to the other side in a few minutes & get some peace.

I had a walk up one of the side streets to the church where I caught a Mass.

                          


Afterwards I wandered further up the peninsula and you can see the Dolomites in the distance.


Then down toward the beach again.

As I walked down towards the town I saw this. When I read the plaque on the wall I saw it had been where Maria Callas had lived. 
Maria Callas' Villa 
Maria Callas spent her summers here from 1952 to 1959, until she met Aristotle Onassis!

Mind you I'd rather stay here given the chance. Problem is the gates are locked so I couldn't get in to take photos of the actual hotel but it looked gorgeous.



 Villa Cortine Palace

On the road down into the town there were lovely trees in blossom



Lovely traditional shops & cobbled streets


Colourful gardens


 All too soon we were heading back to Desenzano!


However it was a great speedboat ride back which most of us enjoyed, but not all!

Next stop Venezia!






3 comments:

  1. How I wish you a wonderful time ----just wish it was me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i always love your photos - i envy your life - truly I do - ..I can't think of anything better ...after having a healthy family etc.,...next in order - ...would be to have your life of travel and seeing the world....third would be ...living along that cobbled street.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos. Italy is somewhere I would like to have visited but never made it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...