Sunday 16 August 2015

I've Been Knitting & Crocheting Like Mad!

 
 
 
Once I retired I started to knit again. I managed to keep my wool buying to a minimum for a while but I got really hooked on knitting lacey shawls. I have about five lots of wool waiting for shawls but I'll do those in winter. However I have bought quite a lot of wool in sales in recent months. I've done quite a lot over the last few weeks but I need to slow down with it but most of all the wool buying!
 
I thought I had got over the habit of starting new things & then leaving them but obviously I haven't.
 
I started to crochet the blanket above & I really like it. I changed the colours to blues, beige & cream as I just don't do pink. I'm making it in pure wool & I've got quite a lot done. Would have had it finished but it was too heavy & bulky to take on holiday so it's standing in the corner of the dining room. I'm not putting it away in case I forget about it!
 
One of the 45 squares (I've done 35)
I did manage to crochet a little summer bolero last week from some cotton that's been lying around for over a year now. The pattern below was very quick & easy to do. I made it in white & it's lovely. However it's quite heavy so may not make it into the case for the next holiday! 
 
My next tour is to the Orkney & Shetland Islands in September. I'm not expecting warm weather in fact I assume it will be pretty windy, cool & possibly wet. I don't wear hats as I don't think I suit them probably because I wear glasses. However I know I really need one for that trip. On our last tour in the Hebrides it was very chilly & some ladies bought pom pom hats on the Isle of Mull. They were very nice but cost them nearly £30! So I decided to knit one a couple of weeks ago. I liked the one below.
 
 
The Baby Alpaca Silk  was lovely & soft to knit with, however after I finished it I decided the pom poms were a tad twee so I crocheted a flower.
 
This is the finished product below.

 

  
I'll probably never wear it again after the tour but I don't want to have to spend a mint on buying one in Scotland. 
 
I also made an Estonian shawl for a friend. It's the Triangular Summer Shawl from Nancy Bush's book Knitted Shawls of Estonia. I've made it four times now & I love the pattern despite all the nupps! She hasn't got it yet so hope she likes it.
 
 
I'm more than half way through making this jumper below in blue cotton but I've stopped. I know the reasons why I usually stop, either I'm not sure I like what it's looking like or I've altered the pattern! Yes, I've altered the pattern. However I need to keep going, I can't have more stuff lying about.
 
 
I also have the cotton for this back fastening jumper!!!!!!! Don't bother watching this space, I have no idea when I'll get it done as I've decided I want to make a quilt, not a huge one though!
 

 



9 comments:

  1. Love your knitting. Some day I'm going to learn.

    Always love your trip photos - is this a job where you go on some kind of tour - or just for fun - great life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy. I do enjoy the tours & it's often great fun. However it is hard work making sure everything is organised from the tickets to the handouts I write. Then there's dealing with all the complaints & believe me there are plenty. I hadn't expected to do first aid either but in Desenzano I had the task of putting plasters onto one old chap's badly blistered feet bless him. My main worry is losing people especially in the railway stations when you have up to forty people & some are very slow it's a big worry. There have been some really funny things happening, I could write a book. However that would have to wait until I don't do any more tours for the company!

      Delete
    2. thanks Winifred - i just started getting the idea that you must be running tours or something. Glad you explained it - and even though it sounds hectic and busy ...lucky you to see all these places. Wonderful!

      Delete
  2. I used to knit all the time but had to stop because of the arthritis in my fingers and I also have carpal tunnel syndrome. Love the hat you've made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the lovely comment. Have enjoyed your Tuscany posts. Look forward to No 5!

      Delete
  3. Wow I'm very impressed. The hat looks good, and I agree that the flower is more you than the pom poms! So how much did the hat cost you to do yourself? I have no idea how expensive wool is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prices yarns vary a lot depending on the composition, wool being more expensive than the synthetics. Took 3 x 50g balls, think it cost about £6. I had a lot of the cream left. Could make another & just buy the contrast wool.

    It's normally more expensive about £3.75 a 50g ball but I bought it when it was reduced. The wool is gorgeous, alpaca & silk so it's very soft. Well it would be as it's for babies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are very talented. I crochet a little but nothing as fancy as you are knitting. I love every item you have made and are planning on making. They are all very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are one busy lady. And knitting is a lot more fun then blogging, plus you have a beautiful piece of clothing to show off. I never could get the hang of knitting, I can crochet, but haven't even done that in over two years. Keep up your good work, sell it and get more money to buy more yarn.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...