Wednesday 17 December 2008

Well It's Beginning to Feel Like Christmas!

What a lovely day I've had today! You don't get many of these to the pound!

Started the day off at 7.15 am with a phone call from my son, Neil. He was letting us know that we have a new grand daughter, Ellen. She was 8 lb 2 ozs and came into the world at 5.30 this morning. Her Mam was getting a bit worried because she was a week overdue and the hospital had told her they might leave her until Christmas Eve. Needless to say she was panicking a bit and worrying about being in hospital on Christmas Day and leaving a 4 year old at home. Problem solved, now we have 3 granddaughters and one grandson.

Next at 10.30 am met my daughter, Claire and went to my granddaughter Lauren's Christmas play, Whoopsy Daisy Angel! A lovely story about a little angel who was messy and always got things wrong. Well, until the day they asked her to let everyone know about the baby Jesus. She didn't mess that up! Brought the tears to your eyes. As the head teacher said, it's hard to believe that they are only between 3 and 4 years old and have only been in school for about 12 weeks. No stage fright, just amazingly confident little performers.

Tomorrow it's the school carol service in church and the Reception Class are performing the traditional nativity play. Lauren's brother's class who are in their final year in Junior School, Year 6 and are the Special Friends of the little ones in Reception, are doing the readings. I must remember the hankies again!

After the play we took Lauren home and had a quick lunch. Next we went to buy presents for the new baby. I have always enjoyed buying lovely clothes for my new grandchildren but today was a real pain. It was the same in all the shops we tried. The shops didn't have much left and some of them were selling the clothes at reduced prices. It was hard to find things that matched. If you could get the dress in the right size, they didn't have the jacket! We eventually managed to find a set, just hope that they like it.

We collected Nathan, Lauren's brother and went home. Then my daughter went off to see to her horse and left me with Nathan & Lauren. I opened the cafe and started to feed them as usual. Next my nephew Glenn who is a golf director at a hotel, arrived with a Christmas present I had ordered for my son in law. Then in came my husband who was in a hurry to go out to a function.


Next my daughter arrived back and we had a coffee together. We had hoped to visit and see the new baby tonight but my son rang to say they were getting out of the hospital at teatime and suggested we put it off until tomorrow. Have to say that although I was a bit disappointed I'm having a lovely relaxing evening on my own with a glass of wine or two, counting my blessings and celebrating a wonderful day. Money can't buy this and God willing, I'll have another lovely day tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a lovely christmas pressie...aww...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a day you will forget then Winifred. Many congratulations on your new grand-daughter - a big welcome to her. Ellen is a pretty name too.

    Our first grand-daughter was born on 19 December (she will be 12 this year) and I had the flu and couldn't even get out of bed to go and visit.

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you and family. Sounds like a very wonderful day and even more when you get to hold your new grandbaby. Hope for you many more days of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What synchronicity. I picked a good day to stop by and catch up! Congratulations. I hope you post lots of pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Winifred on your new granddaughter! Ellen is a pretty name. She was also a good weight. I enjoyed hearing about your family. You really did a have a very busy day. I was just wondering if your husband is retired also. I think it would be much easier to watch after the little ones with both of you there. We will be looking for pictures. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Even though she isn't the first, she is still so special. Your very own nearly Christmas babe. Enjoy your visit tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on your 4th grandchild... wishing you many more blessed, wonderful days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your precious new baby Ellen! Is there anything more wonderful than the birth of a new child? Brings tears to my eyes to think of it. Those Christmas programs sound so delightful. Things like that are the best parts of Christmas aren't they..focusing on Christ with love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Winifred,

    I'm soooo happy for you. First of all, a new baby! How lovely. I can just picture all the cute things you can buy her.

    Sounds like your kiddos go to a wonderful school. Is it a Christian school? Here in the states we aren't allowed to mention Jesus or Christmas in the public schools. It hurts my heart, to say nothing of what it must do to Jesus.

    I'm glad you have had such a lovely day. I, too, am enjoying my glass of wine as I write this.

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Winifred,

    Sorry I'm late here. For some reason I am having a hard time commenting on your blog. I tried the other day and it just wouldn't go through. It happens a lot though, and often I just give up. I hope it goes through this time.

    Congratulations on your early Christmas present, your precious, new granddaughter Ellen! I'm sure you saw her by now, and maybe you will post a picture. And I bet the little Whoopsy Daisy Angel was adorable. Being a grandma is such fun, isn't it?

    Merry Christmas!

    Hugs,

    Renie

    ReplyDelete
  11. There could be no better way to start a new day. Congratulations on your newest grandchild!

    I noticed you used the word "Next" quite often. That's what my whole week has been like -- what's next? And then, what we don't manage to get done, we always say we'll do it "Next" year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been busy! Congrats on the new grandbaby. What a great Christmas present!
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful Xmas you're going to have! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Winifred ~~ Congrats on your new
    granddaughter Ellen. Lovely name. I am
    glad she came, so Mom could be home for Christmas. I am glad you enjoy the stories I post. Take great care, and a
    very merry Christmas, and a great new year. Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Winifred..I called in to wish you a very "Merry Christmas".And was greeted by the wonderfull news of your new Baby Grandaughter.in time to share Christmas..congratulations,,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...