Sunday 29 May 2022

The Platinum Jubilee



Hard to believe it's 70 years since the coronation. I remember it well, it was the time that the sales of televisions really took off, that we collected royal photographs at school to make scrap books, we got new dresses to wear for the day & were given coronation mugs. 

I'm not an ardent royalist but have to say the Queen has been an admirable monarch, we won't see another with her qualities.

Tonight I watched a delightful programme on telly about her. The BBC's The Unseen Queen shows the Queen & her family's private life in videos, many of the photos & videos were taken by the Queen herself & her family & have never been shown publicly.  


    
       

      

There are extracts from a number of her speeches and some lovely comments & quotations which show her wonderful qualities & strength of character.

My favourite quotation she used is this Australian Aboriginee proverb:

        We are all visitors to this time, this place, we are just passing through. 

Our purpose here is to observe, lo learn, to grow, to love .... 

and then we return home.

Watch it if you get the chance, it's well worth it compared to the depressing stuff we're subjected to.  

9 comments:

  1. Hi Winifred. It has been a while. I will try to get the show and share it with my UK Grandson-in-law who is here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm getting lax about blogging. It was a lovely programme and it's een followed by 4 days of brilliant partying. Sad to see it end.

      Delete
  2. I'm hoping it will be broadcast over the pond, maybe on Youtube ? I'm looking forward to the celebrations....if only from afar. Lovely to see you writing again. Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was 4 amazing days of telly so sad it's over. If you get the chance watch out for the Party at the Palace, you'll love the Queen & Paddington Bear. Quuen & Diana Ross were good too!

      Delete
  3. Hi there - ..good to see a post from you. You definitely stirred up interest in me to watch this. Good review...thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy. Hope you get to see it & some of the other programmes televised here last weekend. The best telly I've seen in ages!

      Delete
  4. Hi Winifred, I was so moved to hear you have
    clear memories of the coronation.
    The past and the present are sometimes so
    close, like a blink of the eye!
    Tina x




    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes my Nanna & Granddad bought a tell!y to watch the coronation It was a small screen but in a big standing cabinet. Just black & white but it was nice to see it live, she was so lovely. Hard to believe she is 96 bless her. She's done an amazing job, goodness knows what will come after her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a Royalist at all, but you can't help but admire the Queen. I don't think the Royal family will be the same once she dies.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...