Sunday 30 May 2021

What a Wimp!

           Photo Wiki Commons:Mike Pennington-Looking north from Sumburgh Head

Have to say I wasn't too sure how I felt about the lockdown ending soon, it felt safe staying at home and doing the shopping online. I have been to the hairdresser and had both vaccinations but hanging on to go to the dentist for a check up. I haven't been to church for months as you have to book online and then I'm not sure whether I'll pluck up the courage to go on the day. Watching services on telly is so much easier, I'm such a wimp!

I do go for a walk most days but have to really push myself. I'm not too keen to go to a restaurant or a cafe just yet and I've only been to two shops in over a year. Been thinking I really need to make the effort to get back to a more "normal" way of life whatever that might be or I might end up agoraphobic! 

I was looking for a break in Northumberland or Scotland but the prices are quite high for a week in June or July just booking a cottage or a basic hotel even without breakfast was as much as a trip to Spain. Not that I want to go there yet!

I saw that the cruises to Scotland from our local port had just gone online for the summer so I spent a while checking them out. Eventually I played it safe & just booked a 6 day cruise up to Shetland, Invergordon & Dundee in July. 

I've been to Shetland before & I know the chances are the weather won't be great but I'm not a sun lover so it will be fine for me & my husband. I think I just want a break from the housework & some different food that I don't have to buy or cook! 

It was just as cheap as booking a decent UK hotel although I don't even know if we'll be allowed off the ship. To be honest I don't care! I love being on a ship even though the North Sea can be pretty rough. Just hope by July I'll have more courage to go than I have now. 

Sorry the photo above isn't one of mine. I seem to have lost the ones I took when I visited Orkney & Shetland (courtesy of the Cloud when my computer went berserk the photos of that tour have all disappeared). 

I really don't know why I can't motivate myself to complete anything. I have to force myself to do housework & only the absolute necessities are being done! It's partly because I don't sleep very well & feel tired a lot of the time & maybe it's the beta blockers who knows! Even days when I feel OK I find things to fiddle about with on the computer or look at new patterns of things to make.

I keep starting new bits of knitting & I have a big pile of sewing that's lying around waiting to be finished never mind the sail blinds I need to make for the conservatory. I need to get bits & pieces from the shops to finish some things but I can't pluck up the courage to go. 

The weather is really lovely now but the garden needs so much work doing before I can sit outside to knit, sew or read. I need a good kick up the behind to get me going. 

Now the lockdown is easing I'm hoping my granddaughter will want to sew with me now she's left school officially. That might help get me going. I've missed seeing family for over a year now but I'll be looking after my daughter's dog if they get to go to Disneyland in August so with that & the cruise maybe I'll get myself together again this summer. I can only hope & pray I do as I don't like the me I am at the moment!

Take care, I hope you're feeling more chipper than I am!

6 comments:

  1. I lived like you through the lock-down and enjoyed it a lot. Yesterday I went into Walmart for the first time in over a year and got my own groceries...or tried to. I couldn't find anything. I shall continue to shop online and pick up my orders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eric is having the same problem when he does our shopping, mostly he uses ALDI but he comes back moaning about people taking stuff off the shelves and then putting it back, not social distancing and if he can find where the stuff should be the shelves are empty! So eventually I do an online shop from Sainsburys.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain. Other than going out walking a lot I haven't been shopping other than grocery stores. I just think it takes time to get the energies flowing again. At least its good to read you are going to Scotland - wow...i envy you. I follow a lot of travel instagram feeds and am constantly drooling over photos of different countries and the beauty that is everywhere in the world. Hope you get your mojo back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sandy I hope it comes back soon. I have spent quite a bit of time exploring holidays and cruises deciding which Med cruise I would like and then thinking about a rail holiday to Lake Garda. That was my favourite tour when I was a tour manager.
    I didn't feel so bad in the first lockdown but I should have pushed myself more when it ended. Must try harder or we'll be into a third lockdown before I'm out of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you get another trip in. It must have been so fun to be a tour manager. The places you must have seen intrigue me. "Oh the places you'll go, today is our day, the mountain is waiting so be on your way... couldn't help myself.

      Delete
  4. I've had 2 jabs now so am beginning to go out and about. Last week I met up with friends and as the weather has been better we met in a restaurant outside. I do go shopping with a mask on and sanitising wherever I can, and to be honest I do feel fairly safe. I haven't been to church for over a year and really miss that but as you say you have to book to go and it just puts me off. Also I've been putting off making an appointment to get my eye checked as it's in hospital and knowing the equipment they use to check your eyes is all very close contact stuff, so I'm just waiting a bit, plus I'm a wimp and am scared too. It hasn't got worse, and as it's likely to be the same as the other eye, it can't be treated anyway. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...