Sunday 18 October 2020

Finally Finshed a Quilt!


I haven't posted in a while, it's getting to be a habit unfortunately.


Well last time I posted I was really disappointed that here in the UK the only TV channel we had that was dedicated to sewing was closing down. Well there was a massive reaction to it from viewers and the great news is that it has been resurrected with a new name Sewing Street. It's on Freeview channel 74 & I think it's now on Sky which is great & it's on Youtube too so that's brilliant news. 


I and obviously thousands of others responded to the closure and voiced our disappointment at the Harrogate Quilting and Sewing Show in Oclober so a group of designers and other staff from the channel have got together and it's coming back with some of the original presenters. 


Haven't done much sewing recently but have just finished a small winter quilt from some Robert Kaufmann charm squares I bought over a year ago & didn't know what to do with them. The fabrics are lovely shades of blue, grey and silver.



Apologies for the photo quality I still haven't managed to find my proper camera's cable to download photos and the phone's camera is not brilliant. Well maybe it's me not the phone camera!


I love the fabrics but had problems finding matching ones for the borders and to back it. I think the original must be out of production now so had to try some plainish ones. Probably better as the squares are pretty busy! 


I used the On Point pattern from the Missouri Star Quilt company and followed the video here. I love Jenny Doan's videos she's such a charmer. Trouble is she makes it look so easy but it's not! Well not for me anyway. 


So it's on to the quilt as you go with hexagons another idea I got from Jenny Doan. I didn't use the templates being shown just used my own and followed the method of making the hexagons with the layers of backing, wadding and top fabric layer. The Jenny Doan video is here  and she machine stitched hers but I'm doing mine by hand 
as I'll have a bit of manipulation to do you can see they're not perfect but I like them. 


Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with them yet probably some cloths for coffee tables or even one forthe dining table if I can manage it. Might have to make the hexagons bigger for that as the  ones I've made are only 3½".  Well we'll see how it goes.

Now I think it's time to do some stuff for Christmas. 

6 comments:

  1. ahh didn't realize you had put a post up. I love the colors and patterns on that quilt - beautiful and they look photographed pretty good to me. That hexagon is so cool and by hand. i have this desire somewhere in me to learn to quilt but i stuff it down because i have enough interests already and i would just add to my inability to focus much, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your favourite programme is again on.
    I have never tried quilting but I really appreciate the hard and very artistic work done by some of the ladies I have met through social media. The colours of your quilt are really soothing and nicely combined. I wish you a safe and healthy week . Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunningly beautiful, I love your choice of colors !
    Happy to learn your sewing programme has returned, there is a quilting program on Public Broadcasting Service here on a Saturday, the crafters make some beautiful quilts.
    My hometown is on another lockdown, it's all becoming surreal.
    Stay well and safe dear friend, lovely to hear from you again.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Robert Kaufmann charm squares are beautiful, and the finished quilt is stunning. You should sell them on ebay!

    I'm glad your favourite TV programme is going to continue. That's good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Quilt! Blue and White (and/or silver) are some of my favorite colors. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love shades of blue. I did not know you were here either. Glad to see you. I am trying to blog again.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...