Monday 12 August 2019

A Bit of a Day

I posted back in January about being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation & how great the treatment I had in hospital was. 

Something like this is a wakeup call & has certainly made me think about things. I found a book my sister recommended called The Doctor's Kitchen - Eat to beat illness which was written by a doctor, Rupy Aujla who developed atrial fibrillation & didn't want to have the procedures that normally would be offered to patients with this condition. Basically he has written the book which he describes as "a culinary journey through food in medicine". He takes a holistic approach and looks at how food and your lifestyle can improve and maintain your health and there are lots of recipes too. The book isn't just for dealing with atrial fibrillation it's for everyone even those with no health problems.

I've been trying to do some of the things recommended but changing your lifestyle isn't something you can do overnight. My main struggle is with exercise, I do swim a couple of times a week but I need to do more. I hate the gymn & our climate isn't always conducive to walking so I need to find another way to exercise.

The main problems I have day to day are with sleeping, walking up the slightest of inclines, carrying bags plus swelling feet & ankles. Not too bad compared with a lot of people & I was resigning myself to making the best of it as I had decided not to have a cardioversion procedure which was offered. Basically they they give you a light anaesthetic, stop your heart & then give you an electric shock or two to start it which may get your heart back into a normal rhythm. I wasn't too keen on the whole thing especially the risk of stroke & the fact it's not always successful & may not last.

Out of the blue I got a hospital appointent for the procedure & after some thought decided I was going for it as I was sick of having massively swollen anles & feet & was worried about the amount of medication I was taking. 

Well the day was today & with a lot of apprehension I was at the hospital for 7.15am. It's a new surgical centre which is really lovely, I had a lovely view of a little patio. 




I have to say the people were wonderful & thankfully
the whole thing went well, with one shock they got it back into rhythm. So it's thanks once again to the amazing NHS which gets so much unwarranted criticism.

Now I have to wait & see whether it will last. Time will tell, but in the meantime I have to follow more of the advice in the book!



Postscript:

Sadly the atrial fibrillation returned last Thursday so we're back to square one just using the medication. Don't really like taking lots of stuff but don't think I'll go for any other procedures if the medication route works. 

5 comments:

  1. well i think it will work - why - because you seem to enjoy life and travel and all that good stuff so the more you love with your heart the more your heart will love you - okay that sounds like a cliche but it's amazing what the power of love does in our lives. So I see you well and doing great and traveling to beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy life & that sounds very good advice. Thank you.

      I have suddenly had dozens of unpublished comments awaiting moderation appear. Weird! Hope people didn't think I was ignoring them!

      Delete
    2. glad to see you are back posting! I realized last time I was here I looked at your archive lit and I could probably entertain myself looking at your travels for a long time should I go through them (which I might when it is winter and snow is on the ground and I'm indoors more).

      Delete
  2. I didn't know what all you were going through. It sounds like you're taking it very seriously and working hard to correct the problem. I'm sorry the last hospital procedure didn't help and hope that you will continue to move forward and try whatever remedies they can offer. He don't give up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take all the advice the consultant gives but it tends to be information based & they leave you to make the decision.
      Well the hardest thing is getting the exercise in to keep fit. Mainly I walk but I think swimming is better for me. Schools go back on Wednesday so I'll be able to go to the pool during the day again. I find it's hard getting the energy to go at night!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...