Saturday 16 February 2019

Blue & White Stuff!




I'm a sucker for blue & white stuff. I love it!

Blue has always been my favourite colour. When my sister & I were little she got the pink dresses & I got blue, my choice!

I use white crockery for everyday but my best stuff is blue & white willow pattern. I used to use that every day until Wedgewood in their wisdom stopped producing and I couldn't replace it.



Blue doesn't seem to be very fashionable & it's often difficult to buy things for the house. I struggled to replace my blue carpets a few years ago, I could get a hideous bright blue synthetic one but wool was difficult. I eventually ended up with a medium grey, not as nice as my previous airforce blue one but OK.
Blue has a reputation for being cold yet I find it very relaxing & fresh. It hasn't been in fashion for clothes though for  years, well other than denim which seems timeless. Odd but navy was out of fashion for donkeys years, I couldn't buy navy shoes, coats, jackets or dresses until a couple of years ago & I never wear black so it was a nightmare.

I can never buy light blue jumpers or T shirts and it's not easy to buy blue fabric. Luckily blue wool is easier to buy and so is light blue cotton yarn, I've had some stored away for a few years. I had intended to make a couple of jumpers but never got around to it. A few months ago a lady from our charity knitting group gave me some white cotton but I had lots of other things on the needles so never did anything with it.

Last week I decided to get cracking on making this. (It's a blanket not a cloak just in case you were wondering!).

Well an easier version of it just using a single square to get it finished quicker.



I've made twenty squares now so more than half way, I need at least 36 if I have enough balls of white cotton but I think I fancy joining the squares in light blue.

Hope I don't get distracted and start something else before I get it finished! I'm a terror for doing that. 

I've just finished crocheting a shawl for a friend & a knitted chick to hold a Cadbury's cream egg.




  • Currently I have a lace shawl on the go which I have been knitting for over a year now. It's been pulled out at least 3 times but I can't seem to accept that I can't finish it for some reason. 
  • I am also making another crocheted blanket made up of tiny little squares, that's an ongoing activity which could take years!



That's not a photograph of my squares, it's the gorgeous picture from Annies Place Blog which got me interested in making little squares. (There are lots of great crochet ideas there.)
  • I have two advent calendars half made which didn't get finished at Christmas as I was in hospital and a large Christmas stocking cut out. They can wait until next autumn.
  • I have three replacement cushion covers for my dining room chairs to finish and at least four cushions for the living room cut out and ready to sew.
Think I had better stop it's getting too depressing!

10 comments:

  1. I really like your site. I follow anonymously. I'd be happy if you followed my site. Good work...

    https://insanadavet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like blue too. I never have an issue buying clothes in blue though. Maybe it's easier for men? The chick made me grin. Where's the egg going? Underneath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably shop at more fashionable places than I do Joe! Yes, I think men's clothes are easier to buy than women's. You can't buy decent wool sweaters for women in M&S but you can buy really good quality men's in lots of colours in their Italian collections.
      Yes the chick has the egg underneath.

      Delete
    2. To be honest, I tend to buy most of my clothes on-line now, and return them for free if I don't like them.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful display of Willowware, it is one of my favorite patterns, and have lots of English pieces, it was my grandma's pattern.
    Your cupboard is just delightful, is it Welsh, by any chance ?
    Our school colors were blue and grey skirts, blue has always dominated my wardrobe, I've never been a pink person :)
    I love that blanket pattern, I wish I could crotchet, but was never taught, just to knit.
    Sweet little chick, and even more so with a Cadbury's egg inside :)
    Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo
      It's an Ercol Welsh dresser. I couldn't afford to buy an Ercol one when we got married so got a smaller cheaper one. A few years ago I discovered that brown furniture is passe here in the UK & on Ebay I saw this beautiful dresser for the princely sum of £50. I snapped it up because over forty years ago it was over £1000! It hadn't a mark on it & the lovely smell of the wood is still there. I do love it but have to keep our latest rescue cat off it. Nightmare, none of our previous cats have bothered but she loves jumping up onto it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work. I wish I had your talent. Love willowware also and have a couple of pieces that were my mom's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say only the Cadbury's egg chick is my work! Hope I can finish the blue & white blanket. So far I only have about 80 of the little squares but it takes less than 5 minutes to make a square.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue in white has always been my favorite choice in dishes however I do collect different colors in transferware.
    Love the blue and white crocheted throw, I never could get the hang of crochet

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, beautiful blue pattern on that shawl or blanket... Some day I want to take lessons and learn to do something like that. I was the red dress girl my sister the blue.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...