Wednesday 16 February 2022

Fettle Those Finishes!



Just in case you're wondering what "fettle" means well in this case it means to sort and complete the unfinished things I've started that are lying about the place. 

I came across the idea here on the lovely Archie the Wonderdog website. It's basically a group of people linked by that picture above who are fettling their finishes. I'm hoping that joining this link of people doing the same thing will spur me on when I see how they're doing. Well that's the idea.

I started to go through all the items I've started to make and are now languishing in the place I call the "sewing room" (it's not just for sewing)  and there's so many so I'm making a list. That should shame me, Catholic guilt no doubt!

The list isn't comprehensive and it's limited to sewing!!!!

I apologise for the photos, some are terrible as mostly they're from my Nokia phone which isn't fantastic & neither am I at using it! Must get a new USB for my camera!

THE LIST

1. Log Cabin Square - Started about 2 years ago 


I started this about 2 years ago after I found an old BBC Book which had covered a TV series on patchwork. It's been lying about as I couldn't decide what size to make the cushion. Like Topsy it just growed! Eventually I stopped at 26" but needed a backing & at that point the Lockdown started. So it's been lying around since then. 

Now I think I might make it into a firescreen cover as I've got sick of the existing embroidered ship picture. If I make it a loose cover I can change it, maybe at Christmas. Well that's the current thinking.

2. Campervan Cushion - Started early January 2022 


A friend gave me this piece of fabric which is sweet. Just the size for a cushion but trying to decide how to quilt it!

3. Bag for the Rulers - Started 3 years ago 
                              

I started making this as I needed something to hold my rulers when I was going to classes. The idea came after I saw someone break a big expensive ruler in the boot of her car. 


On a trip to one of the Harrogate quilting exhibitions a friend & I had bought one of those rolls of 2½” fabric strips which was cheap. However it wasn't the bargain we thought as the strips were not too straight. 

My friend had stitched hers into two large rectangles to make a big bag to hold her rulers. So I decided to do the same. At the moment it's two pieces of quilted strips waiting for the lining & straps to be added. 

4. Hexagon Sewing Case - Started December 2021



On the web I came across a lovely lady, Emma. She makes beautiful items mainly using Liberty fabrics. She is absolutely delightful, her videos are so inspiring and she is so calm and clear in her instructions on her website Vintage Sewing Box. I'm adapting my sewing case from one she has made and using some of my Liberty Tana Lawn to make the teeny tiny hexagons on a lovely chambray I've been saving.   

5. Numerous Hexagons - Started abut 4 years ago


Goodness knows what I'll do with these, I just keep making them now and again. There's LOTS more!


6. Little Quilted Sewing Case - Started summer 2020

I needed a little sewing case to carry a pair of scissors, seam ripper, hold pins & needles & maybe some embroidery threads. Started this & got sick of it. 


7. Some Purple & Green Squares? - Started December 2018

Made these when I first started a quilting class then I left them. No idea why think I just forgot about them & no idea what I'll do with them. Yet!


8. Christmas Yo Yo Picture  - Started October 2020

A couple of years ago I saw this lovely Christmas picture made from rich silky fabrics. Took me too long to collect the fabrics so I put them away & then winter forgot about them until I pulled out the box with all my unfinished stuff for this list! I have about twenty yo yos (or Suffolk Puffs as some people call them) made!


9. Foundation Paper Piecing - Summer 2019 

I haven't taken to FPP,  I find it a struggle. I'm sure it's down to my lack of spatial awareness which seems to deteriorate as I age.

I tried a couple of cat ones but didn't have much success. This was a mystery pattern from a German lady. I have sewn a few pieces but gave up. I must try harder!

No idea what I'll make with it, I just liked the picture.

 


10. Mini Quilt - Mini Quilt - Jenny of Elefantz - Started Summer 2019

I love Jennifer's website she has a wonderul way of writing about her family life in Australia and her faith. She is really inspiring and has lots of free patterns for quilting and embroidery as well as fantastic recipes. It's a real treat to read her blog. 

This is Jenny's photo of her mini quillt. It's a mixture of patchwork, applique & hand quilting. The pattern is free here on her blog.


This is as far as I've got. Hopefully it will eventually reside in my downstairs loo!



12. Christmas Cushions - Started December 2021


I've already completed one in traditional colours here 



but fancied trying softer shades. Not so keen on the blue one but will need to finish it. 

13. Sanderson Star Cushion - Bought Pattern - now awaiting fabric


I bought the pattern for this cushion at the Northern Quilts Exhibition at Bowes Museum last month & am waiting for the fabric to be delivered. 

The pattern is still available on the Bowes Museum Shop for anyone interested in handquilting. It's a bit ambitious for me but I want something to sit and quilt at night when the evenings are light.

Maybe this one should be in the Waiting List as it hasn't really been started yet but I'm trying to avoid starting any more things.  

14. Multiple Cross Stitch things!

I'm ashamed to say I have loads of these and some are over twenty years old. At least my sewing stuff isn't that old! I doubt I'll get many of these finished but I'll try. 

Hopefully I'll finish some of these items on my list and report back on my progress. Well that's the idea!

Think I'll finish now & will go and check on my fellow "fettlers" to see how they're getting on.


6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful page but totally Greek to me. I cannot even sew on a button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they were going to be showing photos of all the things you finished! You are a bit like me with projects. I start them and them move onto something else. My mother called me a butterfly brain.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is a great list, you are in just the right place with use Fettlers! Can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous projects, welcome to the Fettlers! Which do you think you’ll concentrate on first? Or are you going for a more scatter gun approach?

    ReplyDelete
  5. well wow ..you have started so many cool things. i will definitely follow along. i love the idea of quilting just not for myself. I would go crazy and spend way too much money buying fabric. i will check out the blog you posted but definitely will look forward to seeing your finished projects.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...