Monday 11 October 2021

A Sunday Morning Autumn Walk




My daughter asked us to look after her dog Esther this morning. It was such a glorious morning we decided to take her for a walk. Can't believe how sunny and warm it was for October, hardly a cloud in the sky.

These are just some random photos I took along the riverside walk. My camera is still on the blink so I used the phone although its camera isn't brilliant. I must remember to remove the Nokia watermark from the phone and ask Santa Claus for a new camera!


My main worry would be what if the river floods! 


The houses on the opposite side are nice too but there's a road in front of them.



There's a lovely park and lake nearby but today we were just following the river as we've never walked this far along the riverside.




 



It felt like being in The Lord of the Rings scenery. The trees were amazing. They would have looked better if I had stood still to take the photos instead of trying to keep up with my husband and the dog.







These roots were totally weird but I would have loved to hide in their when I was little.



Apparently that viaduct was built in the 19th century for the main London to Newcastle railway. I wanted to take a close up photo as the blocks of stone were absolutely huge but the trees were blocking the view when you got near it. 

Maybe we can get a better photo next time from the opposite bank of the river. Don't think we'll get such good weather again until next year.




3 comments:

  1. I can only imagine what my parents would say if they caught me hiding under that three's roots but I definitely would have done it. These photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes I think mine would have been up in arms if they had caught me in there. I did spend a few summers at my grandparents house where we played all day in a huge dene just outside their house climbing trees and up cliffs. The dene along the river on Sunday reminded me of it. Sadly you couldn't let children play out like that now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit shaky for taking photos anymore, and so it is that I don't own a camera, and I don't have a cellphone either, so maybe you won't mind me asking if it is commonplace when you take a photo with a cellphone that the name of the phone's manufacturer appears in the photo? (That would piss me off so much that I would be out shopping for another brand of phone.)

    Aside from the intrusion of the word Nokia, the photos are lovely. I enjoyed trying to tell what kind of trees were pictured, and where I could make out individual leaves this was easy--as it was where the shake of a tree was so characteristic that not knowing its identity would be unthinkable. I was a little stymied by thed the poor tree that had so much of its root system exposed. I suspect that it is a beech--am I correct? I didn't see any plane trees (in the US, they are called sycamores), but I know they're common where you are.

    A final question--is the paved path you walked also used by bicyclists? "Multi-use paths are common here, but not much favored by pedestrians because so many bicyclists are rude--even hostile--to the point of being dangerous, and now that many bicyclists, scooter riders, and skateboarders, have electric motors, they tend to go a lot faster, making them even more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...