Saturday 26 October 2019

Corpus

Corpus (Tom Wilde #1)

I have started to read eAudiobooks borrowed online from our local library. It's quite handy as you can listen to them on your laptop or phone & it's all free. I never buy them!

I've never managed to enjoy reading ebooks on the tablet or the phone but I quite like being able to listen to the audio books when I'm knitting or sewing & it makes mundane housework like ironing much easier.

The library doesn't have a huge range of audio books yet but it's improving. It's so easy to flick through their list & get a good idea of what the books are about & listen to the reader to see if you like their voice. 

I think I've been reading books that are a bit different to what I usually read & the book, Corpus written by Rory Clements, falls into that category. It's the first of three books & is a historical spy thriller set in 1936 as political events take place in Europe prior to the second world war. Stalin is unleashing terror in Russia, Spain is in the throes of civil war, the Nazis have marched into the Rhineland in Germany which was against the terms of the Treaty of Versailles after World War 1 just as the new King of England, Edward is making his decision about whether to marry Wallis Simpson or to abdicate.

I enjoyed this book although the occasional use of the F word irritated me. Now will have to see whether the library has the other two books.

4 comments:

  1. good to see a post from you - hope you are doing well. i, myself, started to read novels again after years of reading more nonfiction and spiritual books, etc. I have enjoyed many of them lately. One was by Michael Cummings - which I guess a movie was made of it in the 90's. "A home at the end of the world". Anyway i haven't tried listening to book readings - that might be a good thing fo me to do while doing art. The "F" word - I'm so immune to it anymore - it's all you hear from people ... (even myself sometimes)... Historical novels sound good and i have enjoyed them in the long ago past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found you and your blog again. As you know I took off a few years of blogging but decided to start over a few month ago. I'm really trying to keep after it, but fell behind the last month or so. I haven't listened to many books. A year or two ago I wanted to read "Gone With the Wind" again, so I went to the library and got it on CD and listened to it while I crocheted. But I find that trying to listen becomes frustrating when you have a husband who keeps interrupting you, otherwise, I love listening to books. I have a few on my Kindle I plan on listening to this Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh can I identify! I really enjoy audio books. I have scads of them. Many, many free ones from Kindle I picked up for nothing or next to nothing. And I do have a bunch from Audible, which I do love. LibriVox.com 'A Girl of the Limberlost' read by Kymm Zuckert is a book I have loved since I was in my girlhood....haha...that goes way back, I'm 71! LibriVox is free. I could go on and on. Our library has a good audio book lending program too that I use. What riches. I am thankful!

    About doilies, I stop to admire many when shopping thrift stores. And, do use them on my dining room table, even if imperfect and coming apart a bit. They are beautiful and our thrift stores both have large baskets of them for sale. A bit pricey though....7 & 8$ for medium size ones.
    so nice visiting with you, may God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Winifred...Hope you are doing well..I have been reading ebooks right before I go to sleep...and have developed severe dry eye from staring at the computer too long. The Dr said when we read via tablet or computer we forget to blink. So now I am trying to read real books.. Lord knows we have enough of them. This book looks like one that I would enjoy. My daughter and grandkids really enjoy audio books. I will have to give it try.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...