Wednesday 24 December 2014

Christmas Eve & Tommy

 
Eleven 0 One & Tommy

 
Visited my old home town of Seaham Harbour today with my daughter & granddaughter for an ice cream before we visited the cemetery.  
 
Just opposite the ice cream shop on The Terrace next to the cenotaph is a lovely, moving sculpture marking the centenary of the First World War.  It shows a world weary British Tommy sitting reflecting on the horrors of the war one minute after the Armistice had been declared.
 
The sculpture was created by local artist Ray Lonsdale & it was intended to be in place for 3 months.  However the townspeople decided to try to raise the cash to buy it & they did just that! Tommy is there to stay. My photograph was just snapped on the hoof with my phone but you can see lots better photographs & read more about it here
 
Have a wonderful Christmas & a great year in 2015.

8 comments:

  1. I bet everyone is enjoying the sculpture. Here's hoping you had a great time with your daughter and your visit to your home town. Also wishing you a every Happy New Year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sculpture and how wonderful that the townspeople were able to buy it!

    Wishing you a very Happy, Healthy and hopefully Prosperous New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that it will stay. I have been doing genealogy and have discovered that most of the men in my blood line have served in wars. I really dislike wars. I guess sometimes they are necessary...not sure. The Old Testament talks about them a lot! One day soon...I will do a blog post about them. Happy New Year Winifred! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that the townspeople was able to keep this statue in place. Thanks for your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great statue, very easy to imagine a war-weary solider resting like that, thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a wise purchase for the town and one to always cherish. Happy New Year to you my dear friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year .
    I very much liked the video adout 'Keep Calm and Carry on' in your previous post . I think I'll show it in class to my EFL students. Thank you for sharing it.
    Greetings from Athens, Greece,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting to see Seaham after decades!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...