Sunday 25 January 2009

“I Hope We Passed the Audition”

For Beatles aficionados there’s a programme tonight on Radio 2 at 10.30pm, I Hope We Passed the Audion which is introduced by Charlene Spiteri (ex Texas). It tells the story of the Beatles final, live and impromptu concert forty years ago from the rooftops of the Apple recording studios in London.

Around lunchtime on January 30, 1969, a din erupted in the sky above London’s staid garment district. Gray-suited businessmen, their expressions ranging from amused curiosity to disgust, gathered alongside miniskirted teenagers to stare up at the roof of the Georgian building at 3 Savile Row. As camera crews swirled around, whispered conjecture solidified into confirmed fact: The Beatles, who hadn’t performed live since August 1966, were playing an unannounced concert on their office roof.

Crowds gathered on scaffolding, behind windows, and on neighbouring rooftops to watch the four men who had revolutionized pop culture play again. But what only the pessimistic among them could have guessed—what the Beatles themselves could not yet even decide for sure—was that this was to be their last public performance ever.

Christine Gibson, American Heritage Magazine

John Lennon's final words that day provided the group's epitaph:

“I’d like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition.”

13 comments:

  1. Glad you're back on the blog. I like your heading. Been having trouble with my photo program; I've lost my thumbnails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every thing looks good, glad you are back in the blogger world.
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just popped over from Canada (not where I live) where I was visiting Poetikat and read about you. I was a rather a staid teen in the 60's but the Beatles! That was different! Just loved those lads from Liverpool. Oh, and I did wonder about your glamorous photo when I read your age. Mind you, you can't tell anymore. I get quite depressed (as a fifty someting working hard at becoming 60 so I can get discounts) when I see pics of Jane Fonda at 70! Must be all those aeroblics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good post and I like your new look. The Beatles are from my era but for some reason I failed to get carried away with them. Hey, I saw a movie this week that was two episodes of Secret Smile. It had your Dr. Who guy staring as a stalker and he played the role to the hilt. I mean he really gave me the heebie jeebies! Have you seen it? The first episode was chilling but the second half, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your new look. I have always liked the beatles. I can sing along to all the songs, I like music that I know the words to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eleanor
    I wasn't exactly a wild child in the sixties either so I didn't go for The Stones at all. I absolutely loved the Beatles and bought every LP. Only saw them once though when they toured with Roy Orbison in 1963, what a fantastic concert! My favourite was George Harrison, he was gorgeous.

    I didn't look like Jane Fonda when I was 20 so I've no chance of looking like her now. on't have her money either.

    Grannie Annie
    I got bored with my bland looking background so I added a photo and took off some of the widgets. Hopefully it helps the Blog to load more easily. I didn't see all of David Tennant in Secret Smile just part. He is a really good actor and has done work on TV, film and Theatre. He's worked a lot with the Royal Shakespeare Company and the Royal National. However I love him in Doctor Who. More my kind of stuff, I'm a bit of a Phillistine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always loved the Beatles music, in my humble opinion they are up there with Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc. Yes, a different genre, but Their genius will be with us till eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be amazing to say you've seen the fabulous Beatles in concert! I was only 8 when this impromptu performance was held. I came to appreciate the Beatles in my teens and still enjoy listening to them. I love the song, "Norwegian Wood".
    I'm with you Winifred - George was the cutest!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Beatles. I completely agree about George. He was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Winifred ~~ Great post and I loved the Beatles and had most of their lps etc. I have seen that concert on top of the Apple building on TV a couple of times. They sure passed the audition. Thanks for your Australia Day wishes
    We do have an odd sense of humor over here.
    Take great care, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the Beatles. My SIL does light work on the Cirque du Soleil show "The Beatles Love" in Las Vegas. We just love the show.

    I love your new look. I was a little flummoxed when I realized you changed your title. I'm trying too, but it's hard to change, isn't it?

    ~hippo hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard about this on the radio at the weekend and was really interested. Don't remember the orignal occasion at all. A x

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's my first time here :-)
    I didn't know about the Beatles' last concert, although we have seen Across the Universe, it didn't compute.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you:

The End of a Reign & the Passing of an Era

It's the day that most of us have dreaded even those who are not royalists.  Many of us grew up with her and have seen a long momentous ...